Minnesota Secretary Of State - How to reinstate your business filing
Skip to main content

How to reinstate your business filing

Business Annual Reinstatements:

If you filed a Certificate of Assumed Name, Minnesota Business Corporation, Foreign Business Corporation, or Non-Profit Corporation, or a Cooperative, Limited Liability Company, Limited Liability Partnership or Limited Partnership, you must file an annual renewal once every calendar year, beginning in the calendar year following your original filing with the Secretary of State. Your entity will be “statutorily dissolved” (no longer be recognized as existing in Minnesota) if you fail to file your annual renewal. If your entity has been statutorily dissolved, you may have it retroactively reinstated (as long as the name is still available) by filing a renewal for the current year and paying a fee.

How to File Your Annual Reinstatement Online:

Step 1: Create an online account with us and login or sign into an existing online account. Here you can find more information about creating an account.

Step 2: Go to the Business Filings Online  and search your business by its name or file number.

  • If the entity is inactive you will need to change the search’s filing status from “Active” to “Inactive” in order to locate the entity.
  • If the entity is inactive you will need to reinstate the entity before an amendment can be filed.

Step 3: Click on “Details” next to your business name from the Search Results.

Step 4: Click on “File Amendment/Renewal” from the Business Record Details page.

Step 5: Choose Reinstatement from the list of Amendments-Available for Filing. Not all amendment types are available to be processed online.

Step 7: Review the Filing, updating any information you would like/need to update, Click "Next" to review your renewal, and then "Submit" You will then receive an Order Number specific to your filing. Record the Order Number before continuing. Then click on the “Continue to Make Payment” button. Once on the US Bank page you will have the option to set up an e-service account with US Bank. The US Bank e-service account will store your credit card information for future transactions.

You can by-pass the US Bank e-services registration by clicking on "pay without registering".    This allows you to process a one-time payment with your credit card.

Step 9: When you receive the email from our office that the filing has been processed you can open the email and there will be a link that you can click on that will take you to our website where you can download a copy of the filing. The link is only valid for 90 days.

NOTE: All filings are kept in the Transaction History for 90 days. The Transaction History is accessible by signing into your online account on our website and then clicking on Transaction History. Once you’re on the History page you can click on the order number on the right and it will give you an option to download the filing.